Reports To: General Manager (GM)
Job Purpose: To ensure the successful operation of the entire housekeeping department maintaining the highest level of cleanliness and quality standards in all guest rooms, public areas and laundry services within the hotel. To ensure that all housekeeping staff members are properly trained and motivated in order to achieve the desired results of offering a quality product for the hotel guests. Responsible for all housekeeping related problems, supplies, linen, equipment and communicating any work orders to the Maintenance department.
Job Summary: Day to day supervision of housekeeping staff (room attendants, laundry attendants, houseman, public area attendants and room inspectors); training of staff; managing labor and departmental expenses in order to help achieve financial goals; maintaining S & L Hospitality and brand cleaning standards; focus on meeting customer service standards.
- Daily responsibilities include: printing & review of all housekeeping related reports; proper assignment & coverage of all daily assignments in order to meet daily objectives and time lines within the department; inspection of all public areas to ensure cleanliness and quality standards are met; inventory control; time management; review/assessment of hotel’s future occupancy (i.e. rolling 3 days) to ensure department has adequate staffing scheduled.
- Supervise room attendants, laundry attendants, houseman (if any), public area attendants and room inspectors (if any). Personally inspects at least 8 rooms daily to ensure that cleanliness standards are being met.
- Follow up and/or re-inspect any room discrepancies reported by the front desk.
- Encourage all housekeeping staff members to report any guest room or public area deficiencies needing maintenance attention. Inspect guest room(s) and/or public area to verify before proceeding with completing and passing along a work order to maintenance department.
- Participates in staff recruiting, hiring, training, development, scheduling, coaching & counseling / employee disciplinary action, 90-day and annual performance evaluations, and succession planning in order to build depth and strength within the department.
- Responsible for handling any housekeeping related guest complaints including consulting with the GM or AGM on any adjustments (compensation) needed.
- Monitor and maintain set par levels for linen inventories and housekeeping supplies. Work with GM or AGM on determining purchasing needs weekly and monthly.
- Perform linen, terry and guest room supplies inventory as required by the corporate accounting team. Ensure that all storage areas and linen rooms are kept stocked, clean, organized and secured.
- Personally adhere to all policies and procedures as identified within the employee handbook and management company guidelines. Maintain overall “Confidentiality” of information as it relates to the brand, S&L Hospitality and ownership.
- Focus on achieving guest satisfaction and customer service goals within the department. Communicate departmental goals to housekeeping staff.
- Responsible for overseeing “Lost and Found” program at the hotel to include all of the proper documentation (itemizing) required. Report and deliver any valuable items to GM or AGM as quickly as possible to ensure that such valuables are properly secured.
- Follow all OSHA standards and maintain up-to-date MSDS binder for all chemicals used within the department.
- Participate in quarterly Safety Committee meeting as requested by the hotel General Manager.
- Follow all safety and security related guidelines and practices as required by S&L Hospitality and/or the brand. Participate in any safety related training programs throughout the year (i.e. HazCom, Blood Borne Pathogens, Emergency Evacuation, etc.) as requested by the General Manager, Corporate Human Resources & Benefits Director or the brand.
- Be approachable
- Be “hands on”. Lead by example.
- Be an Ambassador of the company
- Any other duties, responsibilities or special assignments as requested by the GM or AGM.
- Ability to learn and understand the hotel’s property management system (PMS) in order to become proficient with the housekeeping reports and overall PMS features affecting housekeeping.
- Must possess good communication skills in order to effectively and professionally deal with hotel guests, general public and hotel employees. Ability to effectively handle guest and/or employee issues, concerns or conflicts is required.
- Ability to establish and build successful rapport with guests and hotel employees is required.
- Must possess the ability to inspire and motivate employees to work together as a team as well as fostering empowerment within the housekeeping department.
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs. occasionally and up to 10 lbs. often.
- Ability to stand and/or walk for long periods of time
- Ability to bend or use repetitive motions.